Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Interview with Venkatesh





Venkatesh is not unconventional;he's absolutely normal. He treats everyone with so much dignity and respect that you cant help but marvel at his evolving persona. As an actor, he so incredibly talented and committed to his work.

There are zillion clichés to being a star but Venkatesh has avoided it consciously and has found an an interesting truth about not just being human but at looking at life with some critical removed perspective. At 44, the actor says he has come a long way, above action and reaction. In a rare insight to his personal life, Venky reveals the secret of his new found glory and happiness.

A consummate professional who turns in stunning performances, his attitude towards work has always been committed. The actor says, '"Monotony sets in when you are not enjoying it. At a time, it was just physical strain that worried me, mentally i never break. My roles in films like Ganesh, Dharma Chakram were so intense that it drained me. I just took a long break. Only once did i lose my temper and that was when i had
spondylitis. I would get irritated if things were out of place and if i wouldn't get the shot right. That's because i walk into the studio as a producer first and an actor next. I look around if there's any wastage, if everyone is coming on time etc. After one stage you have to accept things as they are, you don't react too much."

Of late there has been a metamorphosis and Venkatesh says his quest for the spiritual truth has begun. "Initially i was religious but now i look at it in a spiritual angle. In religion, you are god fearing.

Here, you have to pass that to reach the Advaitic stage; that the truth is finally within ourselves and the truth is you. I feel reborn again after having learnt this. Each of us will find our own path according to the karma. It took sometime for my dad and my brother to understand me when i spoke all this, but i'm content in my way and they are happy with their work."

The actor is very clear about giving his children a strong foundation and wants them to have an understanding of spiritual science, because that's the stage when an impact is profound. "Now they are open, ego is absent, there's no guile. My daughter asked me once when i was at puja, if this is going to help me out. That's when i told my wife, that we need to speak to her about all this. These kids have so much baggage from
their previous birth, you don't know what's in store for them. Till they get married i will do what i feel is reasonably good. I have on my part been successful in bringing them up like normal children and they have all been wonderful."

The actor has been a doting parent and has been very supportive. Happiness is evident but there's no exultation when he talks about his eldest one winning a gold. He laments that he hasn't spent much time with her and says she could have started off much earlier. "Ashrita is a natural athelete and has tremendous will power. She just wanted one gold medal and she got it. She is very focussed and gives her studies and sport a
clever balance. I keep telling her that she can't run all her life and needs to concentrate on her studies. Sports gives you discipline and you can't ignore that. About my other daughters, Havya is calm but Bhavna is again inclined towards games. Arjun is too small."

What was that particular event that changed his attitude towards life? "For a person without a goal, a stage in my career came when a series of films became hits. We went on a victory tour and when thousands of people were cheering and rooting for me, i remained totally unaffected. It hit me that i wasn't being carried away, that calm and silence was confusing. Despite my successful career and personal life, i could
sense something amiss. It was spiritual unrest. I'm very clear that once i wind up my career i will do a lot of meditation, there will be lot of self inquiry and pursuit of the self, i will be with my masters."

He adds, "I'm a normal guy but my attitude towards life has changed. Even today i go the studio to collect my money to run my home. I think everything in life is a bonus so money doesn't look important. I'm aware that my brother and dad are great people, they will send me what ever i want when the need arises. I'm very fortunate that at such a young age i took up this science. I feel i'm indestructible, nothing in this world or nobody can shake me. This strength is enough. I am blessed".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LIKE UR INTERVIEW SIR..